Sunday, February 18, 2007

Happy Love Your Friends Day!

For Valentines Day this year, all 4 of us were single and 3 of the 4 of us had class that night (and the other one has mono...). Soooo, we decided that this year we wanted to celebrate and do something fun in honor of our friendship. Several weeks ago we drew names for our secret Valentine, set a price limit and started making plans. We had decided that we would each exchange a small gift on Valentines day, but we still had to keep the identity of our secret valentine, well, a secret. That meant we had to enlist the help of others to do our delivering...my gift (from Sophie I later found out) came during my small group meeting from Christina via Alan (since Sophie couldn't leave the house she had to have a few folks help her...). I had Sophie's name and left her gifts outside her apartment door, and then set up an email account for Kernie, her stuffed monkey & had Kernie email her to tell her to look outside. Becca and Jenn had each other--Becca found 2 bags of flaming hot cheetos (yes, I think they are gross, Becca loves them...) outside her apartment door that morning and Jenn found a gift sitting on her desk in the class the 3 of us have together Wednesday nights. Then we decided to dress up and go to dinner and a comedy show on Saturday evening, and exchange the rest of our gifts....here are photos from last night's outing:


Poor Sophie, she insisted on coming with us, but she was SO tired...here is her all dressed and ready to go, waiting for Becca to arrive.
For her main gift, Becca, our resident artist, had hand painted John 3:16 in Greek, English, and Latin on a canvas for Jenn's wall--it was beautifully done!
For one of her gifts, Jenn had framed 2 photos from Becca's time as an intern at San Marino Community Church. One is of Becca with the sign out front on a day she was preaching and the other photo is of the youth group kids on a servant day.
Reading my card from Sophie that says that friendship is what it's all about, not the hokey pokey...if you've been to Cursillo, it'll make you laugh too....
In the car on the way over we were discussing the finer points of Thursday's Grey's Anatomy episode, and I was once again lamenting my addiction to a TV show. I had commented that I've decided my gift to myself at the end of this quarter (coming up here in about 3 weeks) is to buy season 1 on DVD so I can take it to Hawaii with me over Spring Break to watch on the plane. So I was VERY excited when I opened my gift from Sophie to find she knows me too well and had gotten it for me...and then promptly took it back and told me I can have it after finals...yeah she knows me a bit too well....those papers and sermons just won't be written if I have that in the apartment!
I had gotten Sophie a collection of random gifts, one being a copy of the The Trumpet of the Swan, which was her favorite book as a kid...she was very excited, she said her other copy had been dropped in the bathtub one day....

1 comment:

  1. This is really a nice thing to do..and thanks for sharing it with us...and thanks for the photos too...they look amazing...friendship is truly a great thing in our lives and we are all grateful for all the friends in our lives...well i'd also like you to drop by my blog on Friendship Greetings and check out all the wonderful resources i've posted there to greet you friends!!!!

    ReplyDelete