- Number of Hebrew vocabulary words learned: 573
- Favorite book of the summer: there are two: Eat, Pray, and Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Music that kept me going: the Wicked soundtrack, the Folly (a band made up of my worship leader from Seattle and his wife) and Indelible Grace (a wonderful group that rewrites hymns to more modern tunes, they do a beautiful job with my new favorite song "O Love that Will Not Let Me Go")
- Number of pages read in my Hebrew book: 514
- Favorite experience of the summer: kayaking in Catalina
- Favorite random moment of the summer: getting hit on by some very strange guy in Jamba Juice--when he asked what I did and I mentioned I was a student at Fuller he said "woah! Dude! You like want to be a pastor?!" and I said "yes." "Woah! Dude! Does that mean you like have to take a vow of celibacy!?" "No, I hope to get married and have a family some day in addition to being a pastor." "Woah! Cool! So, like, do you have a phone number??" Seriously folks, not making this stuff up :) (Also not giving him my phone number...)
- Number of pages written for my pastoral counseling intensive: 36
- Favorite website to check up on: On Faith Dialogue
- Guilty pleasure of the summer: a LOT of Grey's Anatomy on DVD...I think I've seen seasons 1 and 2 a couple times each now.
- Favorite movie rental of the summer: Elizabethtown or The DaVinci Code
- Number of pages completed in the Hebrew workbook: 198
- Sermons preached: 1--I hung out with Mary and Martha a LOT in July
- Bible classes taught: 4--1 preschool class and 3 adult classes
- Favorite video purchase of the summer: "Today"--the new Nooma video (see http://www.nooma.com/ for more)
- Favorite new phrase: "oy shamamma!" (it literally means "Woe! Despair!" in Hebrew--it got used a lot in reference to Hebrew homework...) ("Seriously" and "fabulous" have stuck around as well...)
- Comfort food this summer: Pad Thai and edamamme soy beans
- New discoveries: I love white zinfandel -- had no idea!
- Favorite new cause: To Write Love on Her Arms
- Random places I was caught studying Hebrew flashcards: lines at Disneyland, restaurants while waiting for the check with friends, the post office line, traffic on the 134, traffic on the 5, the ferry to Catalina, the ferry from Catalina, the coffee shop on Catalina, grocery store lines, pacing around campus (I was NOT the only one doing this though!), on the treadmill at the gym
- Number of days until I get to be in the greatest city in the world: TWO!
Happy September everyone! I'll post photos and updates throughout my travels from the west coast to the east coast to the midwest and I'll be back in LA on the 14th of Sept in time to help with orientation--hooray for summer vacation!
I'm impressed that the Jamba Juice guy actually could piece together that you wanted to be a pastor. Mostly when I say "seminary," I get these confounded looks and have to go about explaining what seminary and even theology is!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your time in Seattle. :)