Sunday, June 29, 2008

Uncle Dick's Memorial Service

On Saturday we had a beautiful afternoon spent out on the ocean saying goodbye to my great-uncle, Richard Riley. Uncle Dick actually passed away a year ago after a battle with cancer, but because his children and grandchildren had had the chance to say their goodbyes before he died, they decided to do a gathering a year later to scatter his ashes at sea. It's not a side of the family I am directly related to, so I didn't really know any of his kids, grandkids, nieces or nephews, but I do know my great-aunt and their daughter, Allie, really well. It was wonderful to see them again, and to meet some of the Riley clan as they gathered to say goodbye once again to their father/grandfather.
The harbor at Newport Beach

we saw a ton of seals and dolphins that all came to say hi!Allie and my Uncle SteveAllie practicing for her part in Titanicme with my Aunt Vernita & Uncle Steve (dad's sister and brother in law)me and ms allie--we tried a couple pictures, this was actually the least wind-blown. Aunt Vernita & IEveryone gathered on deck for the brief "service" Renata laughing about something next to a person I don't knowRenata and Vernita laughing as people are sharing their memories of Dick during the serviceAllie and RenataWe were each given a flower to toss overboard

It was a beautiful afternoon, and after we left the boat we went back to Brian and Robin's house (Dick's son and daughter in law) for a meal, a slide show and more visiting.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have had fun the last few weeks! I love that your family got to gether to celebrate the life of your uncle one year later after his passing. The flowers floating in the ocean are beautiful. And next time you talk to your mom and dad tell them I say hi!

    ReplyDelete