Thursday, August 7, 2008

just because it has been awhile

I realized I haven't posted anything in a bit, mostly because there really hasn't been a whole lot going on! Well, that's not totally true, but there hasn't been anything exciting going on that feels like it warrants a post :) I finish up week #1 of my 2-week intensive course called Presbyterian Polity, which honestly, has been the most painful academic experience I've had so far at Fuller. But, like Chuck said, is it really possible to make a class called Presbytrian Polity exciting? It's basically a course that takes us through all the rules and regulations found in the Book of Order, part of the constitution of the PC(USA). Lets just say power point slides and group presentations on hypothetical situations is NOT the way to make this information cement itself in our brains. Especially because this portion of the ordination exams is open book. So I've been in class from 1-5 each day this past week and will have that same schedule next week.

I had the chance to lead our small group bible study on Tuesday night, so last weekend I spent quite a bit of time prepping that--we're reading Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline (a wonderful book I read back in college--if anyone needs another book recommendation!) and the topic I got to work with this week was Prayer. It always amazes me how when God wants to teach us something He will often ask us to teach someone else something--because in teaching something we truly learn it ourselves. I have a lot more reflecting to do on the lessons I have been learning lately about prayer, but it's a recurring theme in my life. A couple years ago God was teaching me a lot about prayer as well, which I wrote about in this post called The Liturgy of an Eight Year Old my first year of seminary.

Honestly, that's all that is new here...poor Chuck has been literally in the library for 6 hours a day, if not more, researching and writing papers. And I had the realization the other day that my ordination exams are 2 weeks from tomorrow (they are Friday and Saturday the 22-23rd) so that means the next two weeks are going to be a LOT of time spent with flashcards and my trusty Book of Order. So I'll be joining him in the library this next week I think :(

Sorry this was probably one of the most un-interesting or un-thoughtful posts I've had in awhile, maybe next week something more exciting will warrant more energy on a blog posting!

1 comment: