Saturday, May 19, 2012

Four Months--Roll Baby Roll!

That's right, you little man, are no longer stationary!  You're a roller!  You absolutely shocked Mommy one day with this new trick.  We hadn't been practicing, I hadn't helped you learn the motor movements at all, you just rolled over one day and haven't stopped ever since!  You don't tend to go from your tummy to your back, just from your back to your tummy, so eventually you'll start yelling for someone to come rescue you from your tummy time, but you are getting so much better about happily hanging out on your tummy, watching your toys, looking in your mirror, or staring at the squares of fabric on the quilt Oma made you (that we have spread out on the floor as your play-mat).  You seem quite proud of your newfound skill, and now we have to watch you all the closer as you will try and roll off anything, including your changing table, if we're not constantly holding on to you.

You are getting SO big!  At your 4 month appointment on May 15, 2012, you weighed in at 15 pounds even and 25.5 inches long.  Everywhere we go people comment on how long you are--you are either growing early or you inherited some of your Papa's height!  (You have also inherited some of his reddish hi-lights in your hair, which Mommy thinks is adorable).

Your fourth month was a big one!  You have been getting so much better about using your hands to grab at toys, hold on to things, and most importantly, get them to your mouth!  You'll hold on to your toy or your blankie and look at it, feel it, and eventually it will find its way into your little open mouth as you taste it.  Mommy doesn't mind, it keeps you quiet and busy in the car or while in the grocery store or stroller!  You will also chew on my arm, my shoulder, my shirt, your burp cloth, or anything that comes near your face.

You started discovering your feet a little, you haven't gotten too good at grabbing them yet, but you have at least seen them and realize they always show up wherever you are, so they must be attached to you!

We have learned that you are a super observant little dude, wanting to be carried everywhere facing forward so you can see what's going on in the world, and you get fussy if we don't have you turned the right way.  You are getting better and better at just sitting on one of our laps watching the world around you, which makes taking you places a little easier!  You experienced the church nursery for the first time during Mommy's last MOPS meeting of the year--you only lasted about 30 minutes before they came to get me because you were hungry, but that's okay, I just wanted you to try it!  You have stayed with several different baby sitters this month and we're hoping you will always grow up knowing there is an entire community of people around you who love you and have helped care for you.  Bob and Sheila, Jim and Chris, Ryan and Alethia, Elizabeth and Jen, all of them have taken such good care of you and have given mommy and daddy some time away.

It has also been the month of..well...a lot of fussiness and not a lot of sleep.  We couldn't figure out what was going on with you--you started waking up every hour all night long, and have for about a month now, and you have been fussy a lot--crying a lot during feedings and when you had to burp, and finally we figured out that you have acid reflux.  Poor baby bug!  You've probably had it for months now, and we didn't put all the pieces together--Mommy is so sorry!  But we have you on medicine for it now, and even though your sleep hasn't really improved we at least have seen a big improvement in your eating--you are much calmer and don't scream as much when you have to burp.  I bet you've been hurting for awhile now, no wonder you can't sleep!  I am so glad to know they have medicines for things like this, but I will say it's been a really hard month.  Your grandma came for a few days to help and I know you wore her out!  After she left we had a really really hard week, and I have to admit, your mommy called her mommy every day in tears, because I couldn't get you to sleep, you fussed a lot, and I was so tired and so frustrated.  It's gotten a little better, but Grandma is coming back next week for a couple more days--I think she was worried about us!  So little man, in some ways this month has been SO SO fun--you have learned so much and interact so much and it is a blast to watch you learn and grow.  And in other ways this has been a very hard month--but hopefully things are getting a bit better with you!

We have learned that you have LOTS of stories to tell, and are talking to us all the time.  Aidan, I hope you always know that no matter what story you have to tell, your mommy and daddy want you to know we want to listen.  If you're chilling on your play mat or in your bouncer and just playing I am okay letting you just be, but when you start talking I try my hardest to stop what I'm doing and come make eye contact with you and listen to you.  Even though I have no idea what you're saying, I hope you always know that your stories are SO important to us!  Please keep telling us what's going on in your little mind!  I read that we are forming in you how you will interact with others for the rest of your life in these first couple years--and one thing I hope you will always do is realize how important people's stories are, and that you will always listen well and be heard.

Other fun outings this month included your first movie (The 5 Year Engagement) on a double date with your Mommy, and Karen and Joshua.  Every Monday morning the theater here has Mommy Movie Morning--so they show a film but leave some of the lights on, don't make it quite as loud, and have a changing table set up in the theater.  There were a ton of other moms and babies there which was awesome!  You also went to the beach for the first time!  We took you to Santa Monica for a couple hours to walk around and daddy showed you the waves for the first time--he was quite excited :)

My last favorite thing I realized this month is that you really recognize your Mommy in a crowd of people!  It was so so fun the moment I realized this, the moment I first saw you really quiet your fussing and turn towards my voice when someone else was holding you--and it happened for the first time in a very obvious way this past month.  I love that when you are being passed around you look for me, and as long as I'm somewhere nearby you're generally okay with whoever has you.  While you grow little one, I hope you always think of me as your safe place in this amazing world that is teeming with things for you to discover.  I love you my sweet Aidan, you bring so much joy to my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment