Friday, July 20, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday

It's Friday!!  Time for another 7 Quick Takes edition--lets be honest, with a cold filling my head and a baby who won't nap, this is all I have the energy for!

**1**
We have a new baby cousin!  My cousin and his wife had a beautiful little girl last night--Hadley Josephine--we can't wait to meet her!  It was some good news out of Colorado this morning in light of the tragic theater shooting last night.  

**2**
I just finished reading an incredible book.  If you haven't read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet please add this book to your list!!  It was phenomenal--I could not put it down.  It takes place in Seattle during WWII and centers around a Chinese boy who falls in love with a Japanese girl whose family is rounded up with all the rest of the Japanese and sent to an internment camp.  It was so so so well written, and took you back and forth between decades as you came to understand this boy's story.  

**3**
It's been so good to be here in Minnesota for the past 2 weeks.  We have one more week here before heading home, and I have been so grateful for this time.  It's been fun to see our little one experiencing things he doesn't at home--the sprinklers, eating outside, swinging on the porch swing, playing in the grass, and having a new house to explore.  I've also found it really really helpful to be around my parents for another reason--it's helped me take a step back and get a bigger perspective in some way.  As a first time mom I am so "in the trenches."  I am more concerned with moment to moment activities and events.  Being around more experienced parents has helped me think about things I never would have thought about.  I focus on getting Aidan fed.  They reminded me that part of the feeding process is helping him learn about food and learn how to feed himself.  And that involves getting messy, using his fingers, playing with the spoon, smacking his high chair tray and splattering things around.  He has had a BLAST this week playing with food, eating, making a mess, getting sticky--stuff I probably wouldn't immediately think of letting him do and he's learned a ton about textures and flavors.  

**4**
We've been having a garage sale at my parent's house these past two days.  It's been a bit of a quiet sale--apparently here in Minneapolis the custom is to do yard sales on Thursday and Friday instead of the weekends because everyone goes "up north" to their cabins on summer weekends.  I think we've decided to stay open on Saturday though and see what kind of traffic they get--it's been a little bit of a quiet sale.  Yesterday we had a bunch of traffic, today not so much.  I baked cupcakes and cookies to sell (because apparently that's what is usually the big seller at garage sales--baked goods) and no one wants to buy my goodies!  They are missing out, these are hands down the best cupcakes I have ever had in my entire life.  Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes with the most amazing frosting (also a chocolate/coffee flavor).  So so yummy.  My dad and I are going to end up eating all 2 dozen...

**5**
On Sunday we're going to go down to Rochester, MN (about an hour and a half away) to visit my dad's uncle and aunt.  I have always loved seeing Ernie and Joanne and I'm excited to introduce them to my little one.  They are a riot (Ernie is an auctioneer, which is just cool) and we're looking forward to seeing them!  Next week my mom has told me she's getting me a professional massage and hair cut (I got to go clothes shopping last week) so I will be headed back home nice and relaxed :)  (Well the flight home might un do all of that, but I'm still looking forward to the pampering!)

**6**
I love Minnesota.  I don't love humidity.  Yup, never have, never will.  It's hot here.  It's hot at home too, so I'm not sure that's much better.

**7**
It's summer, which means it is watermelon season, which makes me the happiest ever.  My parents eat a ton of it too, which means we've been going through a watermelon every couple days--eating it with every meal all day every day.  I can't get enough of it.  Neither can Aidan, he is in sticky watermelony heaven here at Papa's house!  

No comments:

Post a Comment