Thursday, August 10, 2006

In memory of a dear friend

Early Monday morning our families' dear friend Steve Twelves passed away. Steve was diagnosed with a form of cancer 9 years ago and has endured countless surgeries, infections, removals of tumors and radiation and his body simply shut down on him after so long. When he was first diagnosed the doctors only gave him about 4 years to live, so he surpassed their expectations and was able to accomplish several of the goals he made for himself. He was able to see his youngest daughter Hilary graduate from college this past June, he got a new roof on his home, he was able to get his MGB running (he'd been rebuilding it for years in his garage and that was one of the things he wanted to accomplish before he died). Steve and his wife Phyllis have been my parents closest friends for the last 20 years, they lived across the street from us, and their kids Ryan and Hilary, were our faithful playmates for our childhood. I don't think I have any memories of New Year's Eve that don't involve our parents playing card games and laughing the night away. I have so many memories of World Series parties (especially the 1989 series of the Giants vs the A's--us Hansons were Giants fans and the Twelves are die hard A's fans and I think our families watched all the games together with much heckling involved!) Steve and my dad could always make each other laugh and had the best time together. Their birthdays were less than a week apart (Steve's would be tomorrow, August 11, and my dad's is Tuesday, August 15th) so they often celebrated together. I know that we will all miss him--his laughter, his sense of humor, his stories, seeing him in his garage tinkering with that car...

All our hearts are heavy this week as we grieve and as we hurt for his family; but we are also rejoicing that Steve knew Jesus and we know that he is dancing in heaven right now free of pain for the first time in a long time. Steve's passion before he got sick was sailing his sailboat out on our local lake--he would go out all the time and I remember getting to go with him several times. He would regularly enter races and loved being out on the water. I would like to believe that there's a place somewhere in Heaven, maybe on that glassy sea, for him to sail again...
Phyllis and Steve with my parents sometime last year when they drove his MGB to a winery for a day


Yeah, nice try Steve!
Hmmm...they look serious about this wine tasting!
This was taken in June when my parents were in Sacramento doing wedding stuff. They were enjoying what looks like a lot of Root Beer with Phyllis and Steve and Toni and Ron (the other couple in the infamous card playing, baseball watching, new year's eve celebrating group!)
Their family at Hilary's graduation in June.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah....I just logged in and saw this (9/21) although Hilary had read it to me a few weeks ago. I am still very touched by all of the nice things you said and by the pictures. My heartfelt thank you for your kind words. I think the friendship as a foursome that we had with your parents will be what I will miss the most - but it was great while it lasted. Now your Dad will just have to put up with your Mom and me! Love, P.

    ReplyDelete