Friday, December 10, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday


The latest and greatest from Pasadena these days...

**1**
One of my jobs ends next Wednesday, I spent the beginning of next week training my replacement. I have to say, I have enjoyed many aspects of this job, but I think it's time to be done at Fuller. I've loved my time there, and I have many things I will miss, but it feels good, to be bringing this season to a close....now if only all these final projects were graded...

**2**
House update! Our paperwork and loan information is in this mysterious, intimidating sounding place called "underwriting." Apparently these are the people that have the potential to find all kinds of problems, discrepancies, and issues with our loan that can make things fall to pieces. The plan is for our friends at escrow (a place that also sounded intimidating to me, but has turned out to be very friendly and helpful) to have our paperwork Monday morning, over night it to us, have us sign everything with a notary, over night it back to them on Tuesday and still be able to close on Thursday. If you're not using your fingers between now and then, and want to keep them crossed for the next week, that would be fantastic--thanks!

**3**
This past week I was afraid to check my email much of the time. It seemed that every time I did I had an email from our loan officer requesting even more copies of bank statements, deposit slips, proof of what various checks were from, and well...a number of other things. I've learned a few things. One, I'm never throwing away another piece of paper again, because apparently when you do, that's the piece of paper someone needs to see. Two, tracking all these things down, scanning them, and emailing them literally takes hours. I had so much to do this week trying to wrap things up at work, but instead had to spend hours dealing with house paperwork. I keep telling myself this will be worth it, and we are SO grateful to even have the opportunity to be buying a house, but this particular week I cried several times looking at lists of things our lender wanted.

**4**
I also was trying to get Christmas shopping done, gifts wrapped and in the mail this week because we leave for Japan in a week and I just needed something to be done on my to-do list for my sanity's sake. I did manage to accomplish this :) We're only doing gifts for immediate family this year (sorry friends!) but they have all been purchased, wrapped, and are en route to Providence, Minneapolis and South Carolina. Japan presents are going with us in our suitcases but are wrapped and ready for the tree :) I love doing an annual Christmas card/letter, but I'm thinking that's just not going to happen this year. Maybe we'll do a Valentine's Day card...

**5**
People keep asking me what I am going to do when we move to Seattle. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think I am going to be bored! I got a call this past week from one of the staff members at our new church who asked if I'd be interested in teaching a 10 week adult education class this spring. He said "you have your M.Div, you've been graduated for awhile, do you want something to do?" I was like, "yes please!!" I was thrilled to be asked, that I'm not even there yet and they already trust my ability to serve in various pastoral roles which makes me so happy :)

**6**
We have been so blessed lately to share meals with wonderful friends, as we begin winding down our time here. Thanks Ryan & Alethia, Jenn & Josh, Dave & Melanie, Susan & Peter, Dave & Amanda, Brian & Courtney, Scott & Mikhal and others!

**7**
By next Thursday we are hoping our stress levels might be a bit lower! I will be done with one of my jobs, Charles will have graduated from his chaplaincy program (and Fuller!), we should hopefully be home owners, and all that will be left is packing for Japan! I think we're going to try to run away to a fun downtown hotel that night as a Christmas gift to each other to get away and celebrate all these things!

No comments:

Post a Comment