Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Bullet Points

I have to be honest. I think we are pretty tired. I know I am. My friend Miranda mentioned in her post yesterday that all she feels she can manage right now is a list of bullet pointed thoughts. That's kind of where I'm at these days. There is a LOT going on in our lives, and I know I feel a little scattered, but I had a few minutes this morning before another busy day gets underway, and thought I'd post a few random things going on here.

This whole buying a house thing is a lot of work! A lot of new information to wrap my mind around, a lot of coordinating of various people (escrow folks, our lender, our realtor, the seller's agent, and home inspector) and doing this all long distance is tough. I've spent hours these past two weeks scanning, emailing, and fed-exing documents, as well as spent a ton of time looking at how we're going to make closing work from far away. We've gone back and forth between doing this long distance and over-nighting documents or having me fly up for 24 hours to sign everything and get power of attorney to sign for Charles. Our realtor has been great in helping us talk through all these options, and I think we've got a plan in place. Now we just need everything to work out smoothly between now and Dec. 16! It's been tough doing this while we are both at our separate jobs all day during business hours. Mine is a bit more flexible, but it's definitely added a bit of a challenge! We are so grateful for this opportunity to buy a house, and so excited to be getting settled in it, but are definitely feeling the stress of all the work that it takes to make the financial piece of it happen! So if you've called lately & I haven't managed to call you back on my lunch breaks, I'm sorry :( Lunch hour now finds me on the phone with our realtor, insurance agents, or frantically scanning papers--hoping this will slow down soon!

We had a great Thanksgiving, celebrating with a family from church who invited us, and about 18 other people over (some were their family members, most were a random assortment of folks who needed a place to go). We're always impressed and inspired by people like this who open their home on holidays to take in those who don't have family nearby. We hope to be known for the same thing in the years to come as we get settled in Seattle. We know what it's like being far away on holidays, and we are grateful for their hospitality!

The rest of the day on Thanksgiving and then again on Friday the two of us had pretty relaxing but very productive days here at home. We did a ton of laundry, which always makes me feel productive. Charles was working on putting together some resources he used in leading the Confirmation program here at Glendale Pres so that when they do Confirmation again in 2 years they will have a binder of stuff in place already to know where he started. I sorted through all my clothes, books, and movies and put together bags to give away/sell. We took a big box of theology books up to a local used book store that only deals with theological books and they paid us $190 for them, which is way less than we paid, but way more money than we expected to get! I am definitely the person who believes in sorting through stuff before the move, I'm not packing and hauling stuff we don't want!Saturday I drove up to Hanford to visit the Backman family since my sister, her husband and the Lily-girl were there :) I am always SO thankful for their invitation to come see my sister every time they are visiting Nathan's family, and it's been wonderful getting to know them and their extended family over the last couple years. Lily is now walking all over (still definitely toddling--she falls if she gets going too fast!), is showing her independent streak for sure, and says "dat!" as she points at everything around her that she wants. She's adorable, super good natured, smiles a ton, and waves at every stranger who passes her and makes eye contact!
I ended up seeing them again Monday afternoon when they got stuck in LAX over night trying to fly home. So I went to pick them up and they spent the afternoon and evening with us before catching a flight Tuesday morning. I know it was stressful traveling for them, but I'm always grateful for any time with them I get!

I know it's a totally inappropriate song, but my new favorite song just might be "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry. Yes, I told you my brain is scattered and random today.

My boss had 10 pastors from various parts of the country in town Monday and Tuesday for a meeting. Which meant someone had to transport them to and from various LA area airports. So between Sunday night and Tuesday afternoon I visited the Burbank airport 3 times, the Ontario airport twice, and LAX twice. I think that totaled 313 miles of driving, and I never left LA. I am counting the days til we will be living 15 minutes from the Sea Tac airport! Needless to say I was very tired of my car by last night! But I came home to beautiful flowers from my sweet husband who knew I'd had a long day :)

Our evenings have become exceptionally busy as well, as we only have a couple weeks here before we go to Japan, and then when we return from Japan we have a week to pack up and say our goodbyes. So many nights during the week that we didn't have something normal scheduled like youth group or meetings, we're finding ourselves having people over for meals, or getting together with friends, which has been fantastic, but added to the busyness! Hopefully our 10 days in Japan will be a little restful and relaxing before we move!

Don't hate me, but our Christmas shopping is just about done. We wrapped all our nieces and nephew gifts last night, and have just the grown ups left. I started back at Halloween, knowing our December was going to be insane with me needing to grade 60 final exams and 60 final projects BEFORE leaving for Japan! (oh yeah, and buying a house....)

I'm acutely aware that Advent has arrived, and our whole life seems so frantic and busy right now. I'm not exactly sure how to celebrate the advent season this year, how to stop and really contemplate and celebrate the coming of Jesus. Anyone have any good (simple) suggestions in the midst of what feels like the busiest Christmas season I've ever had? We aren't even decorating because that would require pulling boxes out, unpacking, and repacking in time to move...not worth it when we're only here for 2.5 weeks in December!

I think that's it. I need to actually get moving here and go to work like a good employee! I took a few extra hours to sleep this morning after my marathon driving experience yesterday, but now I should get back to my to-do list :)

No comments:

Post a Comment