I have lots of friends having babies these days, and several of them have asked "okay, so what have you loved that might not have been on my registry list or that I might not have thought to get?" Of course you need the standard clothes, swaddling blankets, car seat, etc but we have found a few other gadgets and items (mostly through trial and error as we have gotten to know our little guy and what he likes and doesn't like!) that have been huge life savers for us. Some may think some of these items seem "superfluous" or unnecessary, and perhaps for your family and baby that's true. But here are some things I have been grateful for almost every day we've had them--maybe don't get these right away, but down the road you may want to try some of these for yourself.
The Baby Book by the Sears' By far this is hands down my favorite baby book. I love this book, and wish I had read more of it before Aidan was born. It's big, but it covers EVERYTHING you might need to know for their first two years--including some on child birth, lots on feeding, sleeping, first aid (including tylenol doses--something they don't print on the baby tylenol bottles), and then chapters on development month by month. They include a lot of fun ideas on how to play with babies of each age, tips for dads, and I feel like they approach things in a fairly realistic manner. This is one of the first books I've read where I don't feel guilty for some choice I make as a mom. They do have a strong attachment parenting bent, but as I'm learning more and venturing more into the world of parenting I have found that I line up more with the attachment style of parenting anyways, so this book has fit me well. If I had to recommend one baby resource book, this would be it (because it covers everything in one place!)
The Sleepy Wrap This was my favorite wrap when Aidan was a newborn, but I was so intimidated by using it I didn't try it until he was almost 2 months old. Big mistake! I wish I'd learned how to use this way earlier! It's a really long piece of fabric that you wrap around you in various configurations to create a pouch for baby to ride in. It's SUPER soft and stretchy and comfortable, and Aidan liked this one better than my other carriers. He's too big for it now, but when we have our next baby I'll be using this WAY more than I did with him because we truly loved it.
The Woombie Okay this one we found out of desperation. I truly think it was a 3 AM google find! Our little one NEEDS to be swaddled to sleep. He wiggles and wiggles and his little arms and legs move constantly, which wakes him up the minute you lay him down. Only problem is that pretty soon he got too strong and too big for swaddle blankets. He wiggled out of even the tightest swaddle right away and we spent literally all night getting up and down re-swaddling him so he could go back to sleep. After several nights of getting up every hour to re-swaddle I started googling to see what other solutions were out there. Enter The Woombie. I watched the demo videos and then paid a ridiculous amount of money to get this overnighted to me because I wasn't going to spend one more night reswaddling this kid if I could help it. It's a zip up swaddle pod that lets him actually move a bit but his little arms and legs can't flail about and wake him up. There are a variety of styles, and we have the "summer" woombie which is lighter fabric (which lets him move more) and the woombie convertible which has snap on sleeve openings, so when we start transitioning him to sleeping with arms out we can do one at a time easily. We love the woombie, I cannot sing it's praise enough because I haven't had to reswaddle him at 3 AM once in a month!
The Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleeper This is another one we discovered out of desperation. Our little guy was just diagnosed with reflux, which is a super common baby issue, and accounts in part for his terrible sleep. Since we learned this was an issue, we tried everything--letting him sleep in the bouncer, in the swing, elevating his crib mattress, wedging him in different positions with rolled blankets, propping him against a hot water bottle to give him the illusion of being held by a warm body, letting him sleep in bed with me (which is still probably his favorite spot to be honest), and nothing worked. This kid still woke up every 45 minutes all night long. Every night. That's a lot of lost sleep for both him and us! I remembered a friend had raved about this little portable sleeper when her baby was little, and I had no idea if it would help but I figured I'd ask if we could borrow it. Once she heard he had reflux she insisted we come get it ASAP--apparently in the Amazon reviews of it a ton of parents of reflux kids raved about this sleeper. That night we brought it home, set it up next to my side of the bed, and put our sleeping babe in it. THREE HOURS later he woke up to eat and I was SHOCKED when I saw what time it was. Since then we have consistently gotten 2-3 hour stretches of sleep out of him in this little bed (which for him is AWESOME), probably because of the steep angle it keeps him at (sleeping more upright is more comfortable for babies with reflux) and because it helps him feel like he's being held by the steep sides. I love this product, and if you happen to end up with a reflux baby who won't sleep, I couldn't recommend this highly enough!
White Noise Machine We learned before he was born that babies often like white noise (the sound of the hair dryer, vacuum, static, babbling water etc) because it mimics the sound of the womb. When Aidan was 2 days old we downloaded a white noise app onto my husband's iphone and were shocked to see how instantly it worked to quiet him and calm him (it still does today). We went to get a continuous white noise machine for his room (this is the style we got) and now he sleeps every night with the sound of either ocean waves or a babbling stream. We have LOUD upstairs neighbors and a fairly loud apartment complex and this has been a lifesaver--he already sleeps so little I didn't want his sleep interrupted by our noisy neighbors!) We travel with it and now that he's sleeping in our room for awhile we have it set up in there--and I'm learning I love sleeping with it, I sleep way better! So we may be getting another one when we move him back to his room!
Video Baby Monitor From day one we have had Aidan in his own bedroom. For the first 3 weeks my mom was in there on an air mattress so we didn't use a monitor, she kept an ear out for him and brought him to me when he needed to eat. But once she left we started using this and it has been SO helpful. I can see him to know if what I'm hearing is really him or needs my response, or if it's just him making noises in his sleep. I can watch him if he's in his crib playing, and it has saved many many trips running back and forth between my bed and his room in the middle of the night when I think I hear something. Now that we're working so much on his sleep and he's actually sleeping next to my bed we use this during nap time when he's in his own room and eventually we'll transition him back to his room at night. LOVE this, and am so glad we splurged on this one.
Rainforest Bouncer This has been a lifesaver. I have never been one of those moms who is okay just leaving my kid in a bouncer or swing for hours on end, even if he's happy. I think babies need way more interaction and play time on their backs, tummies, sitting on my lap etc BUT, every day during mom's shower and while I made dinner Aidan got to hang out in his bouncer because he was safe, happy, and contained. He still does even now that he's rolling and wiggling more (sometimes I just need him contained in one spot!) Now that he's eating oatmeal but isn't sitting up straight in a chair, this is his feeding spot too. It didn't work to solve our sleep problems with his reflux but it's been awesome for so many other things!
I think that's about it--those are our favorites that don't always show up on registry lists or on other people's lists. How bout you? What were your favorite baby products??







Love that you put this list together. I wanted to do something similar when Matthew was about Aidan's age because we had discovered so many things that were life savers, but I just never got around to it.
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of the Sleepy Wrap, but it looks just like the Moby Wrap. I know with the Moby you can wear the baby up to 30lbs, just in a different position. Maybe you can still wear Aidan in the Sleepy? I'm sure there's a tutorial out there.
The Rainforest bouncer was our #1 lifesaver because Matthew, like Aidan, is and always will be a MOVER. It allowed him to bounce himself before he was actually able to move on his own and, since he's a sensory seeker for sure, that was a plus for us. That bouncer also was how he began to learn how to reach for items and develop hand-eye coordination as he batted at the little bird (not the monkey so much) that would cause music and lights to go on whenever he hit it. He then began to develop his grasp because of this one too, so, YES! we love this one as well.
I've always thought the video baby monitors were a bit over the top, but with the way you described its function it makes perfect sense.
Thanks for the tip on the white noise machine, too. Matthew is a huge white noise sleeper and I've been fighting coming to grips with the fact that that's just how he is as I've battled multiple times to try and get him to sleep without it. The Sleep Sheep only lasts up to 43 minutes and using our phones for white noise all night long is kind of annoying, so we might have to look into this.
Looking forward to hearing about what other baby stuff you love as Aidan gets older and starts learning how to play!