Friday, September 23, 2011

31 Books for my 31st Year

I'll be honest, with a newborn coming in January, and another move coming to some yet to be discovered location, I may not make it through 31 full length books this year (unless I start counting Good Night Moon, because come January I will be reading that one a lot!). I'm okay with that, I just like to have a goal. Many of you gave great-looking recommendations, some of which are here on this list. So, without further ado, here's the list of books I plan on working my way through this year. I've left some blanks for spontaneous finds and books people thrust at me insisting I read immediately (which does happen quite a bit!)

The Classics:
1. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Contemporary Fiction:
3. The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon
4. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
5. Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
6. State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
7. The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig
8. One Day by David Nicholls
9. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
10. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
11. The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud
12.
13.

Memoirs:
14. Bossypants by Tina Fey

Non-Fiction:
15. In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
16. Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof

Parenting:
17. Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
18. Child of Mine: Feeding With Love & Good Sense by Ellyn Satter
19. looking for a good book about baby's and sleep...
20. It's a Boy! Women Writers on Raising Sons by Andrea Buchannan

Theology:
21. Tattoos on the Heart by Father Greg Boyle
22. The Good and Beautiful Life by James Bryan Smith
23. The Good and Beautiful Community by James Bryan Smith
24. Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris
25. Love Wins by Rob Bell
26. The Pastor by Eugene Peterson
27. Evolving in Monkey Town by Rachel Held Evans

Relationships:
28. Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas

Children's Literature:
29. Peter & Wendy by JM Barrie
30. The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox
31. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. So much great information in that book, and different information than we're routinely exposed to through media and society.

    Check out "On Becoming Babywise" for your sleep book. I'll tell you up front, there's some negative information out there circulating about this book in certain circles, but honestly, almost all the negative comments I've seen make me wonder if the commenters actually read the book before they commented.

    There's a ton of good information in that book, theories and practices that, when paired with common sense and a mother's own instincts, work remarkably well. And yes, it's totally possible to have a baby sleeping through the night (without detriment to himself) by 7 weeks old.

    ReplyDelete