I have a confession to make. We've had plans to go to see Wicked here at the Pantages theater in Hollywood, where it is playing through 2007, for quite awhile now, and while I wanted to see it so I can say that I have seen it, I was honestly not expecting to enjoy it that much. Oh I didn't think it would be horrible or anything, I just really did not expect a whole lot. The reviews I've heard from friends who have read the book weren't stellar, I have never enjoyed the Wizard of Oz, and quite honestly, I have loved the "classic" musicals (Les Mis, Cats, The Sound of Music, Annie, The Music Man, Oliver, South Pacific, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers...) for so long that "Wicked" just looked a bit too....I don't know....modern? When I think of the 21st century, I don't necessarily think of theatrical masterpieces. Well....I was wrong. Wicked was absolutely phenomenal. From beginning to end I was spellbound. And I knew none of the music, and had no idea what the plot line was about other than that it was the "untold story of the witches of Oz." The sets themselves were unbelievable--I guess that is one thing that shows from the later years have over the "older" shows--the growing technological feats that can be pulled off on stage are awfully impressive. And, the story and music was beautiful! The main question the show asks is "are people born wicked, or do they become wicked based on life circumstances?" The seminary-nerd part of us loved the deeper undertones that run throughout this show, as it seemed to touch on calling, destiny, dreaming, good vs. evil, trust, friendship, and love. I think one of the other things I loved about this show was that the two principle characters were women--unbelievably talented women. I am really not some radical feminist, I promise! But as I look at most of the classic shows the main characters are always men, it is so rare that a cast is made of several strong leading women, and this show certainly was. The place went absolutely nuts when they came out together for the curtain call. It's here in LA through the end of December at least, they may extend it even more, so if anyone makes it this direction I'd highly recommend it! Here are a couple photos from tonight--and from the Wicked online photo gallery:


The stage before it begins with the dragon overlooking the map of Oz
The Wizard of Oz
Glinda the "good" witch
Elphaba the "wicked" witch
Thanks for the review, Sarah! I've been curious about that show for awhile, and would love to see it.
ReplyDelete-Kristi
Yeah, don't read the book. Totally different. I forced myself through it and was still shaking my head by the end.
ReplyDeleteBut I love the musical too. : )