I can't help it, I pick up the midwestern accent so quickly--I always have--and now that I am there a couple times a year visiting my parents it sticks around for awhile! I just flew back to Pasadena last night, having spent a week in Minneapolis with my family enjoying a few days off before I start summer classes tomorrow. Sophie joined me for a few days, and then my grandparents showed up for the end of the week, so it was kind of a busy week, but it was relaxing at the same time. I have fallen in love with Minneapolis--I know I write that every time I visit there, but it is true, it is a fabulous city. On Tuesday my mom took Sophie and I around the city to see some of the highlights, and then on Wednesday we spent the morning at the Arboretum which is a beautiful set of gardens that my mom and her master gardener friends all volunteer at. Wednesday night we also got to go see
The Church Basement Ladies, a hysterical musical comedy based on the book
Growing Up Lutheran which was written about life in the small town Lutheran churches in Minnesota throughout the 50s primarily. Anyone who has been raised in a Lutheran church will appreciate this humorous look at our heritage--it asks the question Martin Luther loved to ask in his catechism that all of us memorized: "What does this mean??" The show covered all kinds of fabulous topics, potluck suppers, jello molds, coffee, snow, church gossip, lutefisk and lefse, and of course...those....gasp!...those
Catholics! It was fabulous to spend two hours laughing and totally being able to picture the truth in all of their scenes! On Friday I also got to spend time with a good friend of mine from high school whose parents have also moved to the Twin Cities since we've graduated. And I got to read the 5th Harry Potter book (I know I am very behind), and started book 6 so I can hopefully be ready for book 7 when it comes out next month! Here are some photos from the week...
Kernie of course came too! Here he is meeting my dad.
me enjoying my mom's new landscaping--the evenings were absolutely beautiful and I loved sitting outside enjoying the QUIET (yup, no sirens, car horns etc)
The dish-crew one night--Grandma, Dad, and Papa--they look like they have done this before!
Mom bbqing one night

Dad and Papa installing one of mom's bird-feeders.
Mom and Grandma had gone to some big quilt show on Thursday and when they returned they were very excited about some new make-your-own rug book they found. Apparently you can take all your fabric scraps and make a rug out of them--all you need is some type of wooden frame to braid the rug on. Which is where Dad and Papa came in--they were given the task of creating one such wooden frame. Both are very skilled at building things, however neither really like directions all that much....I think it took them a little longer building this thing than it could have...
And finally Grandma went out with the instructions and helped "supervise..."



Photos from the arboretum





No comments:
Post a Comment