Friday, February 11, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday--or everything you never cared about

Hi friends! Happy Valentine's Day weekend! Here is the latest and greatest from Seattle!

**1**
I love my little house keeping binder. I really do. I'm telling you, it has made a world of difference for me in a couple ways. I used to save house cleaning for one full day. Those days were exhausting--I'd end up doing 5 loads of laundry, and cleaning absolutely everything in one day, and the place would look awesome for about 2 hours. When company would come over for a meal, I'd spend that whole day frantically trying to make it look presentable, plus cook and grocery shop. And it was always stressful. I don't really want to live like that anymore. I like things to be picked up, and now, thanks to a weekly plan (that of course will change here and there as life happens, it's not set in stone, it's just a guideline!), I don't have to feel overwhelmed by a list of chores. I've spent about an hour (sometimes a bit more depending on the chores) each morning on that day's task, and then I'm done (errands day of course takes longer!). Yup, I'm a fan.

**2**
I think the other major difference I've noticed since having an intentional space to write things down in is how I feel physically and how I am taking care of my body. Because I'm writing it down, I am actually drinking 8 glasses of water a day. I am remembering to take both my vitamins and my calcium. I am drinking 2 glasses of milk a day (I know, some of you think this is unhealthy...I don't, I enjoy non-fat milk and have never had any adverse side effects from drinking dairy). But the biggest thing is in what I'm eating throughout a day. I commented to my husband last night how different I felt, and I think it's because I'm intentionally eating so much produce, filling it in with lean proteins and some whole wheat bread/crackers. When I am hungry I think about what colored food I haven't had yet today and go for that (okay the key is keeping a bunch of produce on hand for this to work!). In the last few days I've had more spinach, kale, and sweet potatoes than probably in the last year, and it has been awesome. My stomach feels happier, less heavy, and well...Oprah and Dr. Oz aren't kidding about the other benefits of eating so much natural foods and fibers!

**3**
One of the books I am currently reading is one I picked up about a month ago with a Barnes and Noble gift card I had one day. The title caught my attention. It's called "Get Energy!" by Denise Austin, and it grabbed me because that's what I always feel like my life lacks. I've never been a super high energy person, I've always wanted to be, but I'm just not. However, lately I've been feeling even more lethargic, desperately wanting cups of afternoon coffee, and just not feeling very awake. I started reading this quick and easy read and love what she has to say already. Nothing she suggests takes very much time, it's all really basic, like stretching for 5 minutes at 3 different points during the day to get the blood moving and deep breathing happening again. She reminds us how important it is to eat a good breakfast to refuel our brains and bodies in the morning...which is always one of my downfalls--I'm a coffee girl in the morning and then will normally be ravenous about 10:30 and eat random stuff just to fill myself up. Denise's impassioned case for breakfast has caused me to change my mind and I've started my days this week by eating whole wheat toast with peanut butter, and some type of fruit with my coffee. Yup, I can honestly say it definitely makes a difference! If you find yourself sluggish throughout the day, grab her book, I promise it will help!

**4**
This week was also my baptism into church involvement :) I was asked last Sunday to fill in this Sunday for one of the adult education classes that I've now attended oh, once. So I'm frantically researching Ephesians 3, my assigned chapter (the class is working their way through Ephesians), and praying that I can put together a 45 minute lecture by Sunday morning. I gotta be honest, straight lecture is not at all how I enjoy teaching, but I have been told this is the style of adult education around here. I've been asked to do a 10 week class this Spring and can do pretty much anything I want...there's no way I can lecture for 45 minutes straight on anything for 10 weeks...and I am not sure anyone should want to listen to me do that! So we'll see what I end up coming with...

**5**
Tonight is the middle school lock in, which means its the first night we'll be spending at the church (out of what I am sure will be MANY over the years!) Wish us luck...

**6**
My friend Kimberlee recently invited people to join her in attempting to write down 100 things they are thankful for this week. I've been joining her in this, and making a list in my journal, and it's been a great experience, to think about things large and small that we have to be grateful for.

**7**
You know how I mentioned awhile ago that an acquaintance from our church in California was competing on Oprah's new network for the chance to host her own TV show? Well Kristina is in the top 5! Episodes are posted on Oprah's website in case you don't have cable (like we don't). She's doing great, I honestly think she's the strongest candidate and I'm hoping she continues to do well!

No comments:

Post a Comment